Still the world ignores the occupation and genocide in Afrin, Syria.. Can you imagine the western reaction if it were Russia which had occupied part of, say, Belgium, expelling or killing the population, installing extreme Islamist guerillas and imposing Russian … just Imagine! … but in Afrin they are only feminists and social revolutionary Kurds, and Turkey is on “our side”…
What does genocide look like?
It looks like the homes of my people, the Kurdish people of Afrin, Syria, being destroyed by the bulldozers of the Turkish state, after they were driven out by Turkish bombs and the persecution of Turkish-backed militias.
It looks like cold steel beams, concrete poured for massive apartment buildings.
It looks like pro-Turkey settlers being bussed in and sold our vacant homes for a fraction of their worth, so that the Kurdish people are replaced and erased.
This is forced demographic change. It is genocide and it is a war crime.
Turkish and Gulf organizations, are now constructing settlements in Turkish-occupied North and East Syria. Below are several noteworthy examples.
The Muslim Brotherhood announced on its website the “Pavlon settlement,” promoting the settlement as “Cooperation Camp” and claiming local volunteers were behind the project. In reality, this massive housing complex is being funded by Qatari and Kuwaiti associations.
The complex is slated to house 70 settler families. This settlement complex is being built at the foot of Mount Pavlon, near the village of Pavlon, where the Turkish government and Turkish-backed militias forcibly displaced Yazidi and Kurdish families to house settlers in its roughly 60 home sites.
Financed by the Qatari-Turkish Brotherhood Association, the Avrazah settlement is being built right in the square that was formerly reserved for the festivities celebrating the Kurdish festivities of Newruz.
The project, located near the village of Afrazeh/Azar, near Afrin, is a large complex in which each housing unit is made of brick and contains a prefabricated kitchen and bathroom. The units are powered by solar panels. The settlers of the Katakh area camps were relocated into the Avrazah settlement.
A new settlement project includes building a new mosque right in the center of the Yazidi village of Shadera, just south of the city of Afrin. A large complex including housing units is being built by the “White Hands” Association, with financing from the “International Charitable Association for Development and Growth,” an organization based in Kuwait.
The complex is being called the “Basma Residential Village.” Members of the local Yazidi population expressed fears that this complex would forever change the demographics of the village of Shadera. Before the Turkish occupation, the village had over 450 residents, and was predominantly Yazidi. Now, there are fewer than 50 of the original inhabitants.
An organization called “Ihssan Relief and Development” is building a massive complex to include 247 housing units with gardens near the village of Hajj Hasanah, in the Jinderes subdistrict of the Afrin region. This project is being built in the shadow of Mount Qazqli, a historically natural and locally celebrated site, right on top of the scene of an illegal logging and deforestation operation.
The Beyaz Eller Association, a Turkish organization, is constructing a settlement in Shadereh, a district of Afrin in North and East Syria. The project exacerbates the forced demographic change of the historically Kurdish region.
Funded by Gulf Brotherhood Associations, the settlement project called “The Levantine Village” was first proposed in November 2018 by settlers from Ghouta, Syria, in the town of Maryaman, on the outskirts of Afrin.
The genocide of our people in Afrin has occurred at a shocking rate. Turkey has only been occupying my hometown of Afrin, Syria, since early 2018.
The region has gone from over 95 percent people of Kurdish identity to less than 30 percent Kurdish. Our people have been displaced, killed, tortured, imprisoned, raped, harassed.
The Turkish authorities have been supporting shadowy extremist militant groups, many of whom have links to ISIS, and given them free rein to occupy our neighborhoods.
They have allowed extortion and harassment campaigns to torment our people. They have stolen the historic olive and olive oil industry assets and exported everything to Turkey.
Turkification has been continuous in the region. They have hung their Turkish flags everywhere, changed road signs to the Turkish language, forced people to comply with Turkish laws. They have hung up massive pictures of Turkish President Erdogan.
Now Turkey seeks to make it impossible for the Kurdish people to return to their homes by settling new people in the region. When will it become clear to the international community that this is exactly what genocide looks like?
When will the international community act to stop these crimes against humanity?
Sinam Sherkany Mohamad – Syrian Democratic Council is the Co-Chief of the US Mission of the Syrian Democratic Council. She is a Kurdish woman from Afrin, Syria. She is a top diplomat of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) in Syria and also serves on the SDC Presidential Council.
Leer en español aquí> https://wp.me/pIJl9-kYT
- Afrin: analysis of an Ethnic Cleansing, and attempted Genocide
- Turkey’s Support for Islamist Terrorism in Syria
- Stop Turkey’s Crimes Against Humanity in #Afrin : powerpoint presentation
- Turkish Fascists at Gates of Afrin City as World Powers do nothing
- Afrin Refugees need your Help: Solidarity from European Women
- Afrin: How Eight Women were Forcibly Disappeared by the Hamza Division
- Feminism across borders: STOP the Fascist Genocide in Afrin
- Afrin: Turkey’s Den of Thieves, Racists, Rapists and hired Al Qaeda Thugs
Barin Kobane, Avesta Xabur and Anna Campbell , 3 of our heroes, murdered resisting Turkish invasion and genocide in peaceful and feminist Afrin
Boycott Turkey .. Boycott Turkish Products .. Cancel Holidays .. DON’t support this madness!
A mother shows her son’s cap killed by a Turkish drone along with eight other children last December. They were all residents of the same street | Ferran Domènech
- MULTIPLE ATROCITIES AS TURKISH HITLER BOMBS EFRIN VILLAGES WITH NATO PLANES
- ‘ERDOGAN’S TERRORISTS ”ASSASSINATING, BEHEADING, STABBING AND PLANTING EXPLOSIVES’ IN ‘SAFE ZONE’
- HANDS OFF AFRIN: DEMOS, SUPPORT, APPEAL, NEWS UPDATES
- ‘BRINGING THE AFRIN WAR TO EUROPEAN STREETS’: DIRECT ACTION CATALOGUE
- Genocide in Europe: Nusaybin surrenders after 74 days ..in total ruins and deafening silence
- Erdogan Jails and Tortures 195,000 People who Might not Like Him. 512 Kids under 6 Years. 5,971 children
- Turkish State’s nazi style crimes “Should spark a Worldwide Outcry,”
- Erdogan Screams for Blood..News Blackouts on new Cizre massacres, 73 missing.
- ERDOĞAN TRIES TO CENSOR WIKILEAKS. EMAILS GO ONLINE. MEDIA GAGGED.10,000’S ARRESTED AND FIRED
- GENOCIDAL ATTACKS ON KURDISH DISTRICT CONTINUE
- KURDISH AREAS UNDER TOTAL ATTACK BY TURKISH ARMY
- Efforts to cover up the dimension of Cizre massacre – News…
- BRUTAL WAR RAGES AS TURKISH ARMY ATTACKS AUTONOMOUS UPRISING
- CIZRE MASSACRE OF 60 KURDS
- Kurdistan: Freedom for Zehra and 1000’s more.. Homage to slain US volunteer Levi …
- 60 DEAD IN CIZRE ! TURKISH JUNTA MASSACRED AND …
- Help the “others” of the International YPG Brigades: Heroes who save lives with a syringe
- Women freed from ISIS speak out + Desperate Survivors Appeal
- FEED THE REVOLUTION: AN INTERVIEW WITH ROJAVA PLAN
- EXPLICACIÓN DEL ANARQUISMO MUNICIPAL: LA ALTERNATIVA PRÁCTICA DE ROJAVA
- REGAINING HOPE IN ROJAVA: ‘WAY BEYOND FEMINISM AS WE KNOW IT’.
- MUNICIPAL ANARCHY EXPLAINED.. THE PRACTICAL ROJAVA ALTERNATIVE
- HOMENAJE A ALPER, ANARQUISTA MUERTO EN EL ATENTADO DE SURUC
- ISIS MASSACRES 25 CIVILIANS IN ROJAVA. WESTERN MEDIA IGNORES IT.
- ROJAVA: THE REAL FRONTLINE AGAINST ISIS; INSIDE THE KURDISH REVOLUTION
- THE SOCIAL REVOLUTIONARY THREAD THAT LINKS THE ZAPATISTAS OF MEXICO & THE KURDS OF ROJAVA
- COMMUNAL ECONOMY GROWS IN ROJAVA DESPITE WAR
- DILAR DIRIK PROMOTES WOMEN’S REVOLUTION IN ROJAVA
- RADICAL CITIES AND SOCIAL REVOLUTION: AN INTERVIEW WITH JANET BIEH
- INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM BATTALION CALL FOR REVOLUTION
- NEW AUTONOMOUS ZONE DECLARED BY ZAD NDDL IN SOLIDARITY WITH KURDISTAN
- 500 EUROPEANS FIGHTING WITH YPG REVOLUTION: HOMAGE TO KEVIN JOCHIM
- IS MASSACRES 120 IN KOBANE: TURKISH ASSIST IS TO CROSS BORDER, REFUSED HELP FOR INJURED
- TURKISH ANARCHISTS JOIN KURDS IN LAST STAND IN KOBANE