Antifascists and anti-racists across the so-called US organized mobilizations in the face of “White Lives Matter” rallies organized by white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and members of the Proud Boys. While many of the demonstrations were shut down before they even began by organizers afraid of antifascist online infiltration, online chats show that many potential rallies were also called off when fascists saw the size of the counter-demonstrations on the ground. In Huntington Beach, which has long been the site of far-Right, pro-Trump and in recent months, anti-mask/re-open demonstrations, the White Lives Matter protest was promoted by the Ku-Klux-Klan, who distributed flyers for it in various neighborhoods. While a Klan presence never materialized, various neo-Nazis and fascists did show themselves, along with Trump supporters who waved Trump and “All Lives Matter” flags. Clashes and fights in the streets quickly sent the racists packing, leading authorities to make multiple arrests and declare an unlawful assembly. Arrests also took place in Sacramento, as antifascists clashed with a small WLM group at the state capitol.
On Sunday, racists across the country are working to organize “White Lives Matter” rallies. Today, we’re releasing the logs from their admin chat.
— Corvallis Against Fascism (@CVAgainstFash) April 8, 2021
The failure of the “White Lives Matter” demonstrations shows that the racialist wing of the far-Right can still not mobilize on its own without massing its forces in one place like in Charlottesville and also networking with other adjacent movements, such as Trump supporters, the militias, or Qanon. It should also be noted that white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups like Patriot Front, the National Justice Party led by neo-Nazi podcasters and former Daily Stormer staffers, and the Groypers led by Nick Fuentes – all did not endorse the WLM actions, seeing them as poorly organized. In the end, the rallies where total disasters and optically were also complete failures in distancing white identity politics from Hitler saluting neo-Nazis. For groups like the Proud Boys who have spent years attempting to deny associations with racist groups, their involved will only help in tarnishing what’s left of their image.
Today’s Huntington Beach #WhiteLivesMatter rally was the work of KKK Grand Dragon William Hagen of Orange, CA. Recently out of prison for a hate crime, he dropped WLM flyers gaining wide media attn, came to the rally alone & igcognito. Hagen held a 2016 Anaheim KKK demo #WLM #KKK pic.twitter.com/bhWlsnnlUr
— Nate Thayer (@nate_thayer) April 12, 2021
Despite the success of the counter-mobilizations, both online and in the real world, it should be noted that the danger of the far-Right still hasn’t gone away. In Fresno, California for instance, several dozen Proud Boys rallied alongside Trump supporters and against progressive demonstrators attempting to stop the sale of a historical theater hall that is central to the LGBTQ and progressive community. The Proud Boys on the scene were made up of several chapters from different cities; showing that despite State repression, bad press, and continued opposition, the group is still able to mobilize its forces and intervene in wider currents alongside more mainstream Trump supporters.
Three anti-racists got arrested today after confronting the White Lives Matter rally here in Sacramento!
Please donate to the NCR bail fund to get them free! #Support #Solidarity pic.twitter.com/LG7nc0h7p9
— Antifa Sacramento (@AntifaSac_) April 12, 2021
It’s in these areas, often outside of larger cities where rallying several hundred can be done quite easily, that we need to work on building coalitions and relationships, not only between autonomous groups, crews, and organizations on a regional basis like our enemies are doing, but within broader communities in struggle and those who are targeted by the far-Right on a daily basis.
- Seattle, WA: Over 100 mobilized against a White Lives Matter event that never materialized.
White and Black voices led chants of “Black Lives Matter” on the stage of Seattle’s Westlake Plaza on Sunday afternoon. A rumored “White Lives Matter” rally had not materialized in the city by about 2 p.m. https://t.co/cQTdVx5fin
— The Seattle Times (@seattletimes) April 12, 2021
- Boise, ID: About 30 antifascists rallied at the capitol. Seems only one WLM supporter arrived, outed themselves and then left quickly.
Boise reporting in. The white lives matter event is now an Antifascist event. pic.twitter.com/SLsSVHc1Zh
— A Friendly Dad 🥞 (@AFriendlyDad) April 11, 2021
This person admitted to being the #WLM Boise event organizer. He seemed to be confused about where all his buddies were. He did stick around for long enough to decline to renounce white nationalism. DM us if you know who he is. Expect more info and actions about him soon. pic.twitter.com/n7cns5ryTw
— IdahoARA (@AraIdaho) April 11, 2021
- Sacramento, CA: Several anti-racist counter-protesters were arrested protesting a small White Lives Matter demonstration at the capitol. Donate here to bail fund.
- Fresno, CA: Several dozen Proud boys showed up to stand against the LGBTQ community and progressive groups who have been rallying for weeks in an attempt to stop the sale of a historical theater building to a conservative church. On the same day, the Fresno police announced that one of their officers, Rick Fitzgerald, was fired for his involvement in the far-Right street gang.
Proud Boys looking for fight in Fresno. pic.twitter.com/x24UiFCR3x
— mr.. g (@mrg55831715) April 12, 2021
Proud Boys from across California descended on Fresno today in response to the firing of Fresno PD officer and former Proud Boy Rick Fitzgerald. IDs coming. pic.twitter.com/VMTgg0dgqH
— Borwin (@Borwin10) April 12, 2021
- Huntington Beach, CA: 12 people were arrested and police declared an unlawful assembly following fights between counter-protesters and small clusters of neo-Nazis and fascists. Hundreds of counter-demonstrations swarmed the Huntington Beach pier, as fights broke out between individuals with visible neo-Nazi, KKK, and fascist tattoos. Several white supremacists were chased out of the area, forcing some to seek police protection. To support those arrested, please go here.
These supposed RAM guys came out to Huntington Beach and got slapped around 😂 pic.twitter.com/YcfEgkTzKO
— Chad Loder (@chadloder) April 12, 2021
A few images from today’s white lives matter protest and counter protest pic.twitter.com/CD4wYdO6HI
— Jeremotographs (@jeremotographs) April 12, 2021
Nazis, Proud Boys, and Neo-Nazis all made appearances at the “White Lives Matter” rally in Huntington Beach.
The first picture is KKK Grand Dragon William Quigg. He’s wanted for stabbing 3 people a few years ago during a Klan rally. pic.twitter.com/5F9Nk2ljet
— Vishal P Singh (@VPS_Reports) April 11, 2021
- Albuquerque, NM: Large counter-demonstration squared off against one pro-WLM protester.
There’s a Proud Boys “white lives matter” rally planned to start in about half an hour in downtown abq. Couple hundred counter protesters out here pic.twitter.com/A2wCVLOKw6
— Bella Davis (@bladvs) April 11, 2021
- Denver, CO: Around 50 people rallied against the far-Right which did not materialize in opposition.
- Fort Worth, TX: Dozens of antifascist counter-protesters rallied against about 3 white nationalists. Former Republican organizer Kevin Whitt (fired after filming himself taking part in the attempted pro-Trump coup) was in attendance.
- Fargo, ND: Hundreds of anti-racist and Black Lives Matter demonstrators rallied and marched against neo-Nazis calling for a White Lives Matter demonstration.
— Clare Allen (@ClareAllenOnTV) April 11, 2021
- Asheville, NC: One lone WLM protester holding a Confederate flag was confronted and sent packing.
Like lots of other cities today, Asheville had a single sad racist show up to the White Lives Matter rally today, which was explicitly organized at the state and national levels by literal nazis and promoted by the KKK. pic.twitter.com/Jzwj3Joacl
— Asheville AntiRacism (@avlantiracism) April 12, 2021
- Raleigh, NC: Around 100 people converged in opposition to the fascist rally organized by neo-Nazis. According NBC: “[A] crowd of antifa and anti-racist protesters gathered at the park where the “White Lives Matter” march was planned. They marched around downtown behind a large white sign that read, “WE ACCEPT YOUR SURRENDER.”
Over 90 people marched in Raleigh today in opposition to a poorly planned (and then canceled) White Lives Matter event. Groups from around the area brought signs with a mix of different messages, including… pic.twitter.com/ih8AO2iyv7
— Anthony Crider (@acrider) April 11, 2021
- Philadelphia, PA: Antifascists held a public picnic and a pre-planned WLM demonstration failed to materialize.
Philly pizza party picnic?
Philly White Lives Matter Nazis?
— Gwen Snyder is uncivil (@gwensnyderPHL) April 11, 2021
Hate groups spent the last several weeks planning a nation wide White Lives Matter demonstration in every major city, including Philadelphia.
Antifa activists infiltrated and disrupted planning, and planned successful counter demonstrations. Today’s diverse picnic is a success pic.twitter.com/9l0kdacCOv
— Light Thief Productions (@LightThiefProd) April 11, 2021
- NYC, NY: Several dozen counter-protesters showed up to face off against a few neo-Nazis who quickly make their exit.
NYC stands against “white lives matter” fascists who will be at Trump Tower at 1pm today. pic.twitter.com/duUUXSik8W
— doug barnes (@reddougsea) April 11, 2021
A literal Neo-Nazi man and woman held a “rally” at Trump Tower. Anyone look familiar? His lanyard clearly says Army ROTC pic.twitter.com/ZbtAmlz9Vo
— ☭ 🌽 (@corncommunist) April 11, 2021
Only a small counter protest is present at NYC White Lives Matter rally that was ment to be held outside Trump Tower at 1pm today pic.twitter.com/AiA4TchsXY
— @SCOOTERCASTER (FNTV) (@ScooterCasterNY) April 11, 2021