Occupied Jerusalem – Two days after Israeli forces killed Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, Israeli police attacked her funeral procession, wounding dozens of people. The participants were assaulted by police with batons, stun grenades, and tear gas as they attempted to get Abu Akleh’s body out of the French Hospital in occupied Jerusalem.
Police closed the streets, preventing hundreds from participating, and confiscated Palestinian flags. Israel imposed restrictions on Abu Akleh’s family regarding the funeral and summoned her brother to not allow Palestinian flags raised or slogans chanted during the funeral.
Israeli police prevented pictures and banners bearing the image of Shireen Abu Akleh to be hung in front of the Roman Catholic Church in Jerusalem and they also imposed violations on those who gathered for the funeral of Abu Akleh near the French Hospital in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood.
Abu Akleh was killed by Israeli forces on May 11 as she was on assignment covering an Israeli raid into Jenin City in the northern parts of the Occupied West Bank. Stay tuned for an interview with the journalist who was next to Shireen when she was killed.
The day after Abu Akleh was killed, the President of the State of Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas, spoke during the large scale official funeral for Abu Akleh at the Presidential Headquarters in Ramallah.
The Presidential Guard of Honor saluted Abu Akleh’s body as the national anthem played along with funeral music. President Abbas awarded Abu Akleh a Jerusalem Star Medal and laid a wreath on her casket which was wrapped in the Palestinian flag.
Abbas laid responsibility for her death on the Israeli authorities and said he rejected an Israeli investigation.
“We have rejected and reject the joint investigation with the Israeli authorities, because they are the ones who committed the crime, and because we do not trust them, and we will immediately go to the International Criminal Court to prosecute the criminals.”
Unicorn Riot’s Coverage from Palestine:
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp – May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh – May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours – May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests – May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces – April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration – April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast – April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles – April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza – April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 – April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot – April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus – April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip – April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza – April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan – April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces – March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank – March 22, 2022
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization: