Oppose the University of Liverpool proposal to sack 47 research staff in the Faculty of Health and Live Science
In trying to sack 47 researchers the behaviour of the University of Liverpool is parallel to the “fire and rehire” approach of many businesses, 10% (officially) of the British workforce have been sacked in the last year and those who continued to work have had wages and conditions reduced. At the same time precarious work has increased during the pandemic.
- Considering :
- • The emphatic result of the industrial action ballot with 60% turnout and an 84% vote in favour in industrial action
- • The largest turnout and vote for strike action in the history of the branch.
- • That flawed selection criteria that is being used to threaten the livelihoods of Health and Life Sciences colleagues based on a false metrics.
- • The continued work carried out by the branch and members to discredit these proposals
- • The work of the University and Colleges Union branch in continuing to push for these proposals to be shelved and the threat of compulsory redundancies to be withdrawn.
- • If the university management fail to withdraw these proposals we will call sustained strike action that targets the assessment period
- • The proposal of UCU ‘Boycott UoL’ campaign in which we secure the withdrawal of external speakers and examiners who support the campaign to Fight For Health Jobs
- • Liverpool TUC is in full support with the UCU branch.