The protests spreading across the Palestinian streets, including the General Strike across Historic Palestine on May 18, 2021, are a watershed moment. They have been sparked by Israeli policies of ethnic cleansing in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in Jerusalem the violent attacks against al-Aqsa Mosque and Palestinian presence in Old City of Jerusalem, the continuous assaults against our brothers and sisters Palestinian citizens of 1948 Palestine (now known as “Israel”) by the Israeli forces and fanatic settlers and most importantly the barbaric bombardments of the Gaza Strip. They are a popular uprising against Israel’s ongoing policies of occupation, settler-colonialism apartheid and Israel’s continued the ethnic cleansing of Palestinian communities everywhere.
We declare our full support for the General Strike across Historic Palestine on May 18, 2021 and call on all trade unions and labour movements across the world to show meaningful solidarity with our General Strike by joining the call for international action by the BNC.
Dismantling Israel’s regime of imperialism, military occupation, settler colonialism and apartheid is in our hands. Your hands too. We call on trade unions and labour activists to :
- 1. Flood MPs, elected officials at all levels, university administrators, leaders of trade union federations, among others with letters calling for their support for targeted sanctions to dismantle Israeli apartheid, starting with a two-way embargo on all security-military trade and joint military research.
- 2. If you are part of a dock/port union, mobilize to block handling Israeli shipments, particularly military ones.
- 3. Wear a Palestinian keffiyyeh (or parts of it) as a symbol of solidarity, or display it from your window or on your social media (profile), if you have one.
- 4. Declare your union an Apartheid Free Zone (AFZ) that refuses to buy the products and services of Israeli and international companies that are complicit in Israeli apartheid and colonialism.
- 5. Start/intensify planning for the next massive Global Day of Action on Saturday, 22 May, building on the inspiring global demonstrations this last weekend. Show Palestinians in Gaza and everywhere, again, that we are not alone.
We count on you to end the involvement of your governments, unions, institutions, organizations, etc. in Israel’s war crimes against humanity committed against the Indigenous Palestinian people.
We will be covering the latest updates regarding the General Strike in Historic Palestine Tomorrow. Follow us on twitter to keep you posted.