Welcome, to This Is America, June 25th, 2021.
On today’s show, first we feature an interview with Black House News, about the ongoing resistance to curfews happening in New York and attempts by the State to hold onto control of the streets in a post-pandemic and post-rebellion world. We also discuss how the terrain in DC has changed following the attempted far-Right coup. We then play a recorded text from Perilous Chronicle, about surveillance of teenage activists in so-called Tucson by local police.
I don’t mean to alarm anyone but the ground temperature in the Arctic was a staggering 118 degrees this weekend https://t.co/uJVNelxTeW
— Brian Kahn (@blkahn) June 22, 2021
We then switch to our discussion, where we cover the horrific realities of climate change and the implications raised in the book Desert for the anarchist movement in an epoch of global warming.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
Fire is now surrounding the tree outside the Rock Hill Law Center pic.twitter.com/xEaGPyxdm6
— Joe Bruno (@JoeBrunoWSOC9) June 24, 2021
- A riot broke out in Rock Hill, South Carolina after a video tape was released of two African-American men being brutally arrested by police earlier in the day. People flooded into the streets on Wednesday night, lighting fires and blocking roadways for hours. More protests are expected.
- The Defend the Forest campaign in Atlanta continues full swing ahead, with actions gaining steam around a ‘Week of Action.’ Residents are fighting to prevent the construction of a new massive police training facility and defend one of the last remaining green spaces in the area.
A Proud Boy and a Vietnam war veteran get into an altercation across the street from Clackamette Park over a sign that reads “Antifa Loves You” #portland #pdx #oregoncity #protest #riot pic.twitter.com/5n7I0i6RQV
— Independent Media PDX (@NDpendentPDX) June 19, 2021
- Antifascists in Oregon City outside of Portland threw down against Proud Boys last week, bravely standing up to the gang of far-Right thugs with well documented connections to white supremacists, the GOP, and the police. In response to the violence from the far-Right, city officials moved to cancel upcoming permits by the Proud Boys. Also in Denver, around 50 anti-capitalist and antifascist protesters rallied outside of the Trumpian, “Western Conservative Conference.”
- Wildcat strikes and walkouts continue across the US. According to Payday Report, “At Family Dollar [in Pittsburgh]…workers walked out to protest poor working conditions and erratic scheduling. In a Houston suburb, “workers at Hooters walked out…protesting the lack of A/C in the establishment.” Lastly in Florida, nurses hit the streets to protest short staffing and lack of access to supplies during the pandemic.
- June 20th – 26th: Week of Action to Defend the Forest in Atlanta. More info here.
- June 26th – July 1st: Earth First! Summer Gathering in so-called Minnesota. More info here.
- August 21st – September 9th: Call for abolitionist actions in support of prisoner struggles. More info here.
- November 12th – 14th: Protest against white nationalist ‘American Renaissance’ conference in Burns, Tennessee.
It’s Going Down
If you value IGD as a revolutionary autonomous media resource in times of crisis and have the means, please sign up to support us monthly! Help autonomous revolutionary media grow into 2021!
- Sign up to become a monthly supporter here!
- Give us a one time donation here or through Bitcoin.
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD wherever you get your podcasts!
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Fridays at 12 PM PST (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, and Santa Cruz). On Saturday, 7pm, at 96.9 in Seattle. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow and share us on Twitter, Instagram, and Mastadon!
- Tell a friend about IGD and check out more content on the Channel Zero Anarchist Podcast Network!